What is the Systems2win Portal?
- a search-friendly user interface
One of the ways to find and open your Systems2win templates, the portal gives you a picture and description of each template - making it the easiest way to find a template.
- where you will
find ALL of your licensed templates
Many templates are found only in your portal.
- the central master location for your
company's master templates
If and when you personalize a master template, you will overwrite the master in one place - in your portal.
How to install the Systems2win Portal
The first step is always to save your master installation files where you
can find them -
and keep a backup for disaster recovery.
If your IT Dept loses your master exe files,
there is a $25 replacement cost within the first year, and after 1 year you would need to upgrade.
Then look at your Systems2winInstall file...
If the Systems2winInstall exe filename ends with "_S"
The portal will install automatically on each user's PC when you follow the instructions to install on each user's PC.
If the Systems2winInstall exe filename does not end with "_S"
Then you should have downloaded a second exe file named
which is installed only once by your IT Department on a shared server.
For an upgrade.. also follow the additional instructions >>> Portal Setup for an Upgrade
For any portal installation... your Information Technology Department does the following....
- Print this page to use as a checklist.
- Install your S2winPortal exe file - to the location on your IT Department's specified location on your shared server, which you will find documented in your Systems2winInstallReadMe file
Tip: This installer will automatically created the final subfolder called \S2winPortal\ - so when installing, choose the folder just above it.
- Install your Systems2winInstall exe to the PC's for your CI Leader and your primary IT leader.
- Use the Multi-User Setup Checklist (\S2winPortal\tCIDontSync\MultiUserChecklist.xls) to ensure that everything gets off to a good start.
The Multi-User Setup Checklist was named Quick Start Leader Checklist in some older versions (\S2winPortal\tCIDontSync\QuickStartLeader.xls)
- Set user access to your S2winPortal folder (and its sub-folders and files) to be
read-only for most users
so they don't accidentally overwrite your master templates with their working documents.
User access should be read-only. File permissions need to allow read-write in order for sync to work.)
a) Replace the Document Storage & Naming Conventions document
with YOUR company's policies
b) Personalize your Systems2winInstallReadMe file to provide the information needed for user installation:
- You can optionally choose to personalize some templates and/or your portal
- You can optionally choose to remove some templates that you don't want to distribute to your users
- You can optionally choose to add some of your own templates that you want to sync to your users
If you personalize anything - be sure to use your Customization Log (to make upgrades easy)
Work with your Continuous Improvement Leader(s) to complete any other optional personalization tasks that they assign from their Multi-User Setup Checklist
- Install the System2winInstall exe file on every licensed user's PC
following the instructions in the Systems2winInstallReadMe file,
(which should always be distributed along with the Systems2winInstall exe file)
keep a log of which users have this software installed,
and see tips for faster installation of many users
ask your Primary User
perhaps change their Portal Setup Choice if different from your default Portal Setup Choice (which is specified in the Systems2winInstallReadMe file)
In order to use synchronization in older versions, every user required permanent permissions to write to the zSystems2win folder where their Systems2win application is installed. As of January 15, 2009, these write permissions are no longer required. Tip: You can download and install a free update to the latest version at any time.
Tips to make future upgrades easier
Bookmark = FAQ or IEsetup
FAQ's & Extra Credit Tech Tips
to easily download files
After using your browser to download a file -
a dialog box should immediately appear to allow you to download the file.
(rather than requiring you to use My Computer to hunt down the file that you just downloaded)
If that File Download dialog box does not immediately appear after downloading a file,
then you need to fix your browser settings.
Check the checkbox for:
- Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Notify when downloads complete
- Firefox > Tools > Options > General tab > Show the downloads window when downloading a file
Tip: When setting up a new user - it is a good idea to always ensure that this setting is correct in their browser.
How do users open their templates?
To use templates version 5 or higher:
- A valid licensed Systems2win Add-must be installed on each user's PC
- Macros must be enabled
- Optional ways to find and open your Systems2win templates
Can we install our Portal on multiple computers?
FAQ: Can the portal be installed on more than one server, or even on several local PC's or laptops?
Yes. It is not a license violation as long as each server or computer is accessible only to users included within your License Agreement.
Personalized templates will need to be manually synced between multiple computers and/or servers.
Can we move or rename our portal?
You can move the S2winPortal folder in its entirety - but never move or rename files or folders within the S2winPortal folder (or links will be broken).
If you do move or rename your portal, then you will need to change the portal path on every user's PC.
How to change the portal path on any user's PC
Follow the instructions on the portal sync setup page.
If Windows 7 or Vista denies permission to change path to portal
Option 1) Copy the Systems2win.ini file from another computer
that has already been set up with the correct path.
Option 2) Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to manually edit the Systems2win.ini file (see illustration on the right)
Personalize your portal and/or templates